The Fairness Four
Ahead of the upcoming local and regional elections in the UK on 4th May, please help us reduce inequality by asking people standing for election in your area to commit to The Fairness Four actions, which are:
- Evaluate the likely impact of council policies on socio-economic inequality*
- Pay all directly contracted staff the real Living Wage (as set by the Living Wage Foundation)
- Ensure all council contractors are required to pay staff the real Living Wage
- Publish a plan to reduce the pay ratio between the CEO and the lowest-paid directly employed council worker
* As per the Socio-economic Duty, section 1 of the Equality Act 2010. This was, regrettably, not brought into force by central government but many local councils are taking action on this. The Equality Trust and Just Fair are campaigning to encourage the Government to bring the duty into force: https://1forequality.com/
Please email your current local councillors, below, to ask them to sign up to The Fairness Four. Just enter your postcode, then press the green button "Find your Councillors" and their names should come up.
As well as sitting councillors, you may also be able to find your local candidates here. Your local council website and/or your local library may well also have candidate information.
If you want to campaign locally, here's a downloadable leaflet which we recommend printing off as double-sided on A4.
Please forward any responses you receive from councillors or candidates to us at firstname.lastname@example.org - thank you.